Transnet, the South African transport and pipeline infrastructure organisation which controls Transnet National Ports Authority and Transnet Port Terminals, says it has ‘identified and isolated the source of the disruption to its IT systems’ which has affected cargo movements and port operations at the ports of Durban, Cape Town and Richards Bay.
Transnet first flagged up the problems last Thursday (22 July) when it noted that container terminal operations had been impacted due to problems with the NAVIS system.
The National Ports Authority has continued its operations with vessel movements in and out of port being recorded manually.
In an update on Twitter on 23 July, Transnet said that manual port and rail operations continue and, as the citrus season is nearing its pick, it is giving priority to the export of reefer containers, primarily through the Port of Durban.
In Richards Bay, operations are also being handled on a manual basis, and in the Eastern Cape, the East London and PE Container and Auto Terminals are working manually. In addition, the Cape Rown Container Terminal and all other terminals in the Western Cape are working manually.
Today (26 July), the Transnet website continues to be down.